Every year the Skin Renewal team donates their time and resources in helping an association or charity organisation in need. In 2012, the Skin Renewal Gauteng branches chose Twilight Children, a Hilbrow based Child and Youth Care Centre, providing care, development and support for children between the ages of 8 and 18 years old that have been found in major urban and inner city areas in need of care and protection.
Twilight Children encourage these children to stay at the shelter and enrol in the Twilight Programme.
Main purposes of programme:
- Reuniting children with their families or get them into safe homes
- Education Enrol children into local schools
- Skills Training: Pottery, bead making, baking and sewing
- Sporting activities and computer training
- Prepare the children for re-integration into society
The overall purpose of Twilight Children is to serve as a bridging facility through which children can be mainstreamed back into society. They now have two new buildings built on two adjacent stands with the aid of The Department of Social Development. They do not restrict their operation to a particular race or sex, age group or area. Providing education and training, life skills, particularly relating to sexual behaviour and exposure to the everyday world are also important activities.
Other Programmes offered:
- IT/Training Centre
- Part of our holistic approach – Healthy minds
- They are currently having difficulty getting the training centre accredited by CITA, thus training cannot be continued for the time being.
- Girl/Women's drop-in community project
- An initiative to cater for the girl-child and other women
- School programme, formal and informal training
- HIV/Aids Awareness
- Risk mitigation initiative for the boys and community
- A programme to provide guidance and grooming for boys through activities and association with positive role models.