Life can be tough when you lack mental sharpness - from the battle to get through an average day at work to simply taking part in normal daily activities. Identifying the factors that affect our brain negatively and knowing how to correct them can help to restore and preserve mental sharpness. When these factors are examined closely, it's apparent that many of them are lifestyle related and are therefore modifiable.
Healthy Nutrition Is Essential For Healthy Brain Function
- A poor diet that consists of processed foods, fast food and TV-dinners is very low in nutrition.
- A diet high in sugar and refined carbohydrates can upset blood sugar and insulin levels.
- A diet that consists of foods that cause inflammation such as grains (wheat), sugar, dairy and processed foods can lead to inflammatory responses in the brain.
- Food additives such as monosodium glutamate (MSG), tartrazine, artificial colourants and artificial sweeteners can interfere with neurotransmitters, causing hyperactivity and lack of concentration, and can also lead to degeneration in the brain.
- A diet low in healthy fats (such as omega 3 oils and saturated fat from vegetable origin) can lead to a decline in mental sharpness.
Get 7-8 Hours of Good Quality Sleep To Maintain A Healthy Mind And Body
- Sleep breathing disorders such as Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) disrupts normal sleep cycles and causes a decline in memory, concentration and sharpness. Stress often causes insomnia which quickly leads to a decline in mental sharpness.
- Many of the sleeping tablets commonly prescribed for insomnia also disrupt normal sleep cycles.
- A lack of exercise leads to poor oxygen supply to the brain.
- Regular exercise will improve circulation, ensuring good oxygen supply to the brain, which can help protect the brain from degeneration.
- Long-term stress can lead to Adrenal Fatigue which can cause significant problems with memory, mental stamina and sharpness.
- Candida or bacterial overgrowth in the gut can affect brain function negatively and cause problems with concentration and memory.
- Healthy gut bacteria are needed for serotonin production.
- A sluggish liver, burdened by toxins from poor diet, alcohol, drugs or medication causes increased inflammation in the body which can cause a decrease in mental sharpness.
Lack of Use
- A brain that is not stimulated will begin to degenerate faster and lose sharpness.
- Brain training techniques have been shown to be very beneficial in restoring and maintaining mental sharpness.
- Degenerative conditions which affect the brain such as Dementia, Alzheimer's Disease and Parkinson's Disease cause impairment of cognitive abilities.
- These conditions are often associated with ageing, but good nutrition and lifestyle choices can prevent or delay the onset of these conditions.
The Renewal Approach
- A Health Renewal consultation can identify and treat health factors that are contributing to a decline in mental sharpness such as stress, gut problems, liver toxicity, etc.
- Obtain advice on diet, lifestyle and specialised nutraceutical supplements which target and optimise focus, memory and concentration.
- Many people have sleep breathing disorders which are never diagnosed.
- If a sleep breathing disorder such as OSA is suspected, a sleep study can be done at Sleep Renewal to diagnose it.
- Untreated sleep breathing disorders contribute greatly to fatigue and a decline in mental sharpness. Energy levels and mental sharpness is completely restored when it is treated successfully.
- Regular brain training can improve and optimise mental sharpness.
- Brain mapping can identify problem areas that may be causing problems with mental sharpness and optimal brain function.
- An individualised brain training program can be created to optimise brain function.
The Renewal Institute is well equipped to provide a multifaceted solution to such a multifaceted problem. So the next time you walk into a room, and you have forgotten why you are there, make an appointment at the Renewal Institute so that we can assist you in regaining your mental sharpness.