Depending on whether you were a good girl this summer and listened to all the advice on sun protection or whether you simply ignored it all, you are either looking glowingly healthy and relaxed or worrying about the dehydrated condition of your skin.
Either way, the sun beating down on your skin can cause visible signs of ageing from as early as your twenties but it is between 35 – 49 years of age that you really start seeing the damage and changes in your skin. In fact, the earlier you start with sun avoidance and protection, the better your chances of looking younger for longer.
Even a few minutes of unprotected sun exposure every day can cause a noticeable change over the years. The visible signs are freckles, age spots, fine wrinkles and a leathery skin. Not a good way to start off the year!
Studies have shown that repeated ultraviolet exposure breaks down collagen and weakens the skin’s ability to synthesise new collagen. In addition, as we age, collagen production in the skin decreases and the combined effect of sun and age has a detrimental effect on our skin.
Some Help from the Scientific Community
Fortunately all is not lost; at Skin Renewal there are various treatments available to help counter the damaged and dehydrated appearance of skin. The professionals at the Skin Renewal Clinics will advise you on the best treatment for your situation. By stimulating collagen production in the skin; the elasticity will be restored and the plump appearance of the skin will return.
Photo Dynamic Therapy™ (PDT) has been used very successfully for skin rejuvenation. This procedure combines red and yellow light to heal the skin, treat ageing, soften fine lines and improving skin tone at the same time. PDT can also be used post aesthetic procedures such as Dermal Filler or peels to assist in post-procedure healing, and soothe any bruising or inflammation that may occur. A series of these treatments will restore a more youthful appearance!
The Dermapen skin rejuvenation treatment has great results and involves a minimal amount of pain. The concept is based on the skin’s ability to repair itself after injury by stimulating healthy new collagen production. During this treatment, the aesthetic practitioner gently glides the Dermapen over the skin to create minuscule subcutaneous channels via tiny needles. This is interpreted by the body as a “mini wound” which stimulates the release of growth factors that trigger collagen and elastin production. The remodelling of collagen results in moderate skin tightening, increased elasticity, improvement in pigmentation, and lifting of scarring.
Other Rejuvenation Treatments
If the thought of tiny needles leaves you cold, there are many other options to consider such as:
- Pearl™ Laser r'ejuvenation, is a revolutionary new wavelength technology that treat a variety of conditions from pigmentation, to deep wrinkles and scars. Best of all, results can be seen in as little as a single treatment. It is usually recommended when there is more advanced sun damage and wrinkling, but it has also been shown to slow down the overall effects of ageing when used in younger patients.
- Cosmelan™ and Dermamelan™ Depigmentation treatments are similar, but Dermamelan is at a 25% higher concentration and administered under strict supervision of a cosmetic doctor. With Cosmelan it has been proven that in “…99% of cases, the appearance of the blemishes improves by 95%...” which involves treatment at Skin Renewal as well as home care and is used for melasma, brown spots and hyperpigmentation marks.
3D Skin Rejuvenation™ is my personal favourite and is a great way of pampering yourself as well as really helping your skin to repair and restore any damage. It involves a combination of treatments, customized for each patient, to address the specific needs and concerns present. The full face and neck are treated and these packages can include any, or all, of the following:
- Microdermabrasion which gently polishes the skin and improves the texture;
- The Titan® procedure uses a deep, infra-red light to tighten existing collagen and stimulate additional collagen production;
- Laser Genesis™ gently heats up the mid dermis and stimulates the fibroblasts to produce new collagen;
- Photo Genesis or Limelight™,is a fourth generation rejuvenating laser treatment designed to selectively treat red and brown spots on your skin, improves an uneven skin colour and can also improve the appearance of rosacea.
- Radiofrequency tightens sagging skin and stimulates long term collagen production;
- Transdermal Mesotherapy™ introduces growth factors and essential building components of collagen into the deep dermis;
- If necessary, this can be followed with some Botulinum injections (such as Botox® or Dysport) and dermal fillers where the effects of ageing cannot be corrected.
Looking after one’s skin is mandatory if you want to retain a youthful appearance for longer and I would recommend (at least) monthly anti-ageing treatments for anybody that really cares about the condition of their skin! Have a wonderful and beautiful year ahead.