But are you getting enough of the right nutrients from the foods you eat? Supplementation supports your overall health by helping your body get nutrients that you may not be getting from your diet.
Here are the top 5 supplements you should be taking:
1) Multivitamin & Mineral
Most of us fail to meet healthy dietary recommendations, and we, therefore, all need a good multivitamin, like Omnium from Solgar, to support our general health and help head off chronic conditions and other health risks.
It is important to use a multivitamin with the basic vitamins and minerals:
- Vitamin C, B1 (Thiamin)
- B2 (Riboflavin)
- B3 (Niacin)
- B6, B9 (folic acid), B12 & B5 (pantothenic acid)
- Vit E & D
- Natural source of Betacarotene
- N-Acetyl Cysteine
2) Essential Fish Oil
Krill Oil from Mannalabs is an excellent supplement to renew your health. Since discovering Krill Oils' remarkable ability to shuttle ample amounts of healing omega-3's into your body, clinical research scientists have been vigorously testing and researching Krill Oil to see just how effective it is. Below you will find the benefits proven by clinical studies.
- Protect your heart – significant improvement in cardiovascular health
- Sustain healthy inflammatory pathways
- Uphold brain health - concentration, learning and memory
- Maintain healthy cholesterol and blood sugar levels
- Ease pre-menstrual distress such as cramps, fluid retention and mild mood swings
- Boost immune function
- Provide wellbeing and youthful vigor
- Encourage healthy liver function
- Promote a healthy complexion and sharpen the mind
- Improve joint lubrication and overall function
- Promotes healthy, radiant and youthful skin
Most people assume that all bacteria are harmful, that could not be further from the truth. Our environment is covered in bacteria, including your body and practically everything you come into contact with. In fact, between 400-500 different species of bacteria reside in the gastrointestinal tract.
While potentially dangerous and health-robbing strains of bacteria may be present; other beneficial strains of bacteria keep their numbers in check. It's only when certain "bad" strains of bacteria get out of control that we begin to experience disorders such as diarrhoea, or more complex and severe problems such as a systemic infection.
Stress, changes in diet, contaminated food, chlorinated water and numerous other factors can also alter the bacterial flora in the intestinal tract. To ensure you keep your GI healthy and replenish the bacterial flora, take a probiotic, such as Ultra Flora Balance from Metagenics daily.
4) Natural Anti-inflammatory
The name curcumin may not be a household word — yet. But turmeric, the bright yellow spice from which it's derived, has been used for centuries as both a medicine and spice. Curcumin is the most active ingredient in turmeric and research shows curcumin is powerful and versatile when it comes to health, especially for cancer.
What are the benefits of supplementing with Meriva from Mannalabs (Curcumin)?
- Combat cancer stem cells (where cancer begins) as well as multidrug-resistant cancer
- Reduce out-of-control inflammation and joint pain
- Help maintain healthy cells and neutralise damaging free radicals
- Protect against the ravages of ageing
- Enhance heart health and inhibit the formation of LDL (bad) cholesterol
- Prevent blood platelets from sticking together, which improves circulation and minimises the likelihood of blood clots
- Counteract damage caused by radiation
- Protect against Alzheimer’s disease and related conditions
- Help maintain healthy, pain-free joints
- Support healthy kidneys and liver
- Encourage the body's detoxification efforts and help eliminate health-damaging contaminants such as heavy metals
5) Skin Protection
Vitamin D is a fat-soluble nutrient and one of the 24 micronutrients critical for human survival. The body produces Vitamin D from cholesterol, provided there is an adequate amount of UV light from sun exposure. The sun is the major natural source of the nutrient, but Vitamin D is also found naturally in fish and eggs, and it is added to dairy products. Although most people are not deficient in Vitamin D, they do not have an optimal level.
Supplemental Vitamin D, such as Vitamin D3 from Metagenics, is associated with a wide range of benefits, including increased cognition, immune health, bone health and wellbeing. Supplementation can also help reduce the risks of cancer, heart disease, diabetes and multiple sclerosis.