How do you remedy the visible signs of ageing?
Treatment is dependent on the visible signs you are seeing. For pigmentation, it is best to start treatments with superficial peels and rejuvenating lasers such as Laser Genesis and Fraxel Dual. For dynamic wrinkles, you can inject botulinumtoxin (Botox® and/or Dysport®). For deep lines and static wrinkles, you can inject fillers and volumisers, and start treatment with PDO threads and Silhouette suspension sutures. You should also use a skincare range that is designed specifically for your skin concerns.
What should your skincare routine consist of during each decade?
- In your 20’s it’s all about protection and prevention, so use lots of sunscreen and products packed with anti-oxidants, such as Vitamin C and E to protect your skin from the elements.
- During your 30’s it’s still about protection, but also repair, so use products with antioxidants, retinol and resurfacers such as AHA’s.
- In your 40’s you need to start doing more repair and keep your skin barrier intact with more moisturisation. Therefore retinoids, growth factors, peptides and ceramides are important at this stage.
- Your 50’s are about moisturisation and using products with antioxidants, retinol, peptide, growth factors and resurfacers.
What is the relationship between SPF and anti-ageing?
The sun causes environmental ageing and damage, so if you protect the skin from the sun with an excellent SPF every day, it helps to slow down the ageing process.
Does men age in the same way women do?
The answer is YES. However, their skin is thicker, and the facial muscles are stronger delaying the onset of ageing. Despite this, they get all the same issues that women do, and it is equally important for men to take care of their skin in the same way.
- The earlier you start taking care of your skin the better!
- Take preventative measures, especially if you know that the trend in your family is to get certain skin issues, start treating and preventing those as early as possible.
- Don't go anywhere without a great facial SPF.
- Don’t just focus on your face in your skin care routine, include your ears, neck, chest and hands.
- Never forget that your face is the garment that you have to wear every single day of your life. Look after your skin as it is the one thing you cannot hide!