Times are tough, and it’s easy to become overwhelmed, anxious and negative during the lockdown. This month's newsletter is dedicated to providing you with some at-home tips to care for your skin, body, and health.
We've also found some useful links to help you out during this time and keep you and your little ones (if you have) busy.
While we may be closed during the lockdown, the branch managers are still able to receive emails, phone calls and WhatsApp. If you wish to contact your branch during this time, you can do so using one of the platforms above. Our online store is also open for purchases, we are, however, not listed as an essential item, therefore the products will only reach you once lockdown is over.
During the 21 day lockdown, the Renewal Institute is running a social media campaign -
#21Daysofhealthandwellness. Every day we will be posting tips on home health and beauty care on our Facebook pages as well as Instagram. Be sure to follow the hashtag so you don't miss out on any posts.
We've put together some useful links to keep you and your children busy during this time;
- Joe Wicks (The Body Coach) - Fun exercises for the whole family. He streams live via YouTube every day at 11 am. Check out some of his classes; Kids workouts, 15 Minute workouts, P.E with Joe wicks.
- Zwift blends the fun of video games with the intensity of serious training, helping you get faster. They offer a trial period for 30 days online.
- POPSUGAR has launched workouts for free. Not only will you have access to workouts from celebrity trainers and experts in the categories of strength, cardio, yoga, and Pilates, but you'll also have access to challenges such as 4-Week Full-Body Fusion, with videos led by a handful of instructors, and 21 Days to Kickstart Your Fitness, designed with strength and active recovery classes.
- Kayla Itsines Workout App, SWEAT, is Free for 4 Weeks to New Members. In the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic and lockdowns the world over, the Aussie super-trainer has made access to SWEAT totally free for new users for a full month.
Food for thought
- Unilever is offering free unlimited access to their online culinary portal, with the latest Chef courses – all filmed and created with expert Chefs from around the world.
- Granadilla Fresh fruit & veg and Some Thyme are delivering fresh produce to those living in Cape Town throughout the lockdown period.
- Abalobi Fisheries - This small scale fishery is doing a #stayathome delivery around the CBD and southern suburbs of Cape Town. Download their app and follow them online for all the information you need.
- UCook- Is continuing delivery as per normal with precautionary measures in place, specifically in Cape Town, Kwa-Zulu Natal, and Johannesburg.
- Crisp Meals SA - Is still delivering in JHB & PTA during the lockdown, look online or send a message to 064 739 9627 to order their freezer meals, juices, and smoothies.
- Jackson’s Real Food Market - This health food store is open during lockdown via one cart, in-store or by WhatsApp. Browse online to see what is available.
- Onecart - OneCart is South Africa's premier grocery delivery service. Shop for groceries, pharmacy, baby, pet, wellness and liquor items from your favourite supermarkets online through the OneCart app and have your order delivered at your doorstep in as little as 2 hours!
For the mind
- Headspace is a meditation app, here to help support you through this time of crisis. They’re offering some meditations you can listen to any time. These are part of a larger collection in the Headspace app — free for everyone — called Weathering the storm. It includes meditations, sleep, and movement exercises to help you out, however you’re feeling. It’s our small way of helping you find some space and kindness for yourself and those around you.
- Whether you're social distancing, in lockdown, self-isolating, sheltering in place, working to keep essential services going, or just finding yourself with a lot more free time and uncertainty ahead, you could probably benefit from developing a mindfulness or meditation habit right now. Or at least doing something with your phone that isn't doom-scrolling the news. Mashable has combined a list of meditation and mindfulness apps that are free for use.
For the kids
- Cosmic Kids Yoga - streams online via YouTube
- Free workbooks for kids - Take the work and expense out of doing school at home with our vast collection of free worksheets for kids!
- READ Educational Trust is pleased to give parents and children across South Africa access to a series of home activities called Busy ‘B’ Bee activities facilitated by our own reading Superhero, Gobala!
- Educational Apps to keep your kids busy - The folks over at The Guardian have compiled a handy list of educational apps that’ll both hold your kid’s attention and teach them a thing or two at the same time.
Join WildEarth on YouTube daily on an African safari as they search for wild animals LIVE from South Africa and twice a day their expert guides take you on a virtual safari experience. Interact with the guide by asking questions through the comments section.
WildEarth Safari times: The Sunrise Safari starts at 06:00 local time, which means start times of 00:00 PM ET, 21:00 PM PT, 04:00 in the UK [GMT], 05:00 in Central Europe, and 15:00 Sydney time.
The Sunset Safari starts at 15:30 CAT local time, 09:30 AM ET, 06:30 AM PT, 14:30 in the UK [BST], 15:30 in Central Europe, and 00:30 Sydney time.
When WildEarth isn't live, you can view the feed from the Djuma Waterhole camera, from the heart of Djuma Private Game Reserve in the Sabi Sand/greater Kruger National Park area.
It's a time that will go down in history globally, nationally and in many a home. Here's what living lockdown looks like for our Skin Renewal family - the good, the bad and the ugly (insert evil laugh here). Enjoy!
“Fabrics doesn’t make exquisite dresses, it is the stitches.”
― Treasure Stitches
The Kliptown Gogos are an integral part of the Skin Renewal community. The ladies are using the lockdown period to refine their sewing repertoire.
If you have any patterns or links to sewing sites with patterns that you could share please email us and we will ensure that the ladies receive them. Wrap skirts, aprons, pillowcase slips, napkins and linen and tote bags which they could make to sell would be fantastic.
If you are using lockdown to catch up on some sewing we would love to see your creations.
‘Beautiful things come together with one stitch at a time’, as always we appreciate the support which you give to us and the projects which we champion.